Theresa
Theresa asked:

I feel like the lone a-hole for asking, but is there a reason the "thousands of men in women working in offices across the city [refusing to] leave their homes" can't just take the stairs? Like, I'm being totally serious. I still want to read it, but the curiosity is killing me.

To answer questions about Elevator Pitch, please sign up.
Ben Davidson The amount of stairs would be brutal but doable for many people. I kind of figure its like saying, why not just wear a bullet proof vest to work when you know there is an active shooter going building to building. I would probably stay home too, this clearly is a crazy person out to kill people. Next thing you know they would roll a Indiana Jones sized boulder down the stairs.
Amy The story takes place in NYC, and the elevator accidents are in hi-rise buildings - it's kind of hard to walk up 91 flights of stairs. I liked it and read it very quickly but gave it only 4 stars because there was just something missing. Not sure what, but it could have been better.
Kathleen I don’t know about you, but there’s no way I could climb all the stairs to high rise office or apartment on the 70th or 80th floor!
willa!! Yeah, I wondered about that too...
Jim
Tim New York City, where the story takes place, and where I grew up, has many, many high rises. It's a very vertical city. Elevators are one of the backbones for the city, like the subway system, but you don't really think of it much unless it's not working as you want. Imagine Los Angeles having to shut down every single freeway, the surface streets would be doable but very chaotic.
Image for Elevator Pitch
by Linwood Barclay (Goodreads Author)