John Sorrell
John Sorrell asked:

To answer questions about The Dog Stars, please sign up.
Miscellaneous Allie I met the author today in a class setting and we asked him that question. The story is supposed to feel like a genesis plot, and the reason why Hig took Cima with him in the plane was purely for metaphorical, not practical reasons. It was supposed to evoke the Noah and the ark feeling, with the man and the woman and the two sheep of both genders.
Ben Krombholz It's been a while since I read this book, but I thought it was implicit that going out onto the road was risky (marauders, etc.), so they took off with everything they could in case Gramps didn't make it (and/or they wouldn't/couldn't land).

The author's explanation is fine, but it doesn't gel for me. Metaphors should extend from logical story elements, not purely contrived for their own sake.

Just my two cents.
William Campbell
Zedsdead I thought it was just because she was sick. Kind of arthritic IIRC, due to surviving the pandemic.
Shelley O'Brien
Morgan Women get raped.
John Sorrell I agree with Ben, pure metaphors at the expense of logical plot would be a huge fault in an otherwise realistic novel. But still, it would seem far riskier to endanger both Hig's and Cima's life, as well as the plane which is the real hero of the novel, as opposed to her traveling to the road with her sharp shooting father. Maybe her health, as Eric said a few months ago, is the most reasonable explanation. Regardless, that could have been made a bit clearer if so.
Image for The Dog Stars