Has anyone read the book? I'm looking for it online. I'm guessing it will be ...different from the movie. A lot less musical, ;) for starters.

To answer questions about Yentl the Yeshiva Boy, please sign up.
Natalie I found it second hand. I can't WAIT to read it!! I'm in the middle of a few books right now, but I want to start it as soon as possible. I will let you know what I think when I'm done!! :)
Hmm...well, we own the soundtrack...I could always play it while I read the book ;)

Okay, I just finished the book!! It was really enjoyable. However, since I came from years of watching the movie, I feel like my view of it is skewed slightly. Instead of saying to the movie "That's not how the book did this scene!!" I am going backwards, thinking while reading, "That's not how it happened in the movie..." But the book came first, so the book is always right.
There were some differences between the movie and the book; I think the movie may have taken some things out to make it less complicated. The only thing that bothered me was the ending. I was left wanting more. But then again, I was a firm believer in Yentl and Avigdor overcoming their differences, marrying, and continuing to study again. But I guess it just wasn't meant to be, in the book OR movie :(
Image for Yentl the Yeshiva Boy