Melissa Hughes

Do I need to read the first book in this series to understand the second book?

To answer questions about The Likeness, please sign up.
Laya No, but the first book has a back story of one of the characters mentioned here.
Angie G. Yes. Understanding what happened to Cassie in the first book makes her actions and decisions in The Likeness make more sense. It's not necessary to the plot to read it, but I think it is vitally necessary to understand the main character.
Hannah Evans They reference the case the main character worked on in Book 1 and how it went so wrong she leaves the Murder Squad and loses her partner (co cop not boyfriend) who she was very close w/ but you don't really need to read it. I did and it was is nowhere near the level the likeness is on. I personally wasn't interested in that book, huge waste of time, sole reason I read it was to read the Likeness, completely unnecessary
Mary Berger I would say yes. You'll have a deeper understanding.
Carolyn No. But you will want to read them eventually. French is too good and there is a history.
Susan Mock Yes, so you understand the relationship of the characters of this book.
Christine Yes if you do intend to read the first one and don't want any spoilers. Although the identity of the murderer(s) in the first case is not revealed here, the resolution to the investigation is discussed pretty freely.
Image for The Likeness
by Tana French (Goodreads Author)