Jan Maier
Jan Maier asked:

I'm leading a one hour book club discussion of this book in a few weeks. I'm finding it difficult to structure my presentation around all the essays. Has anyone done this? I'm open to any discussions.

Spencer I have not organized a book club presentation, but I did just finish the book, and I think one approach that could work would be to group the essays by subject matter. Just for example, you could group her essays on books and writing (e.g. "The Bookstore Strikes Back" and "The Getaway Car") and discuss those together. Group her essays focusing on relationships together. Those of her childhood/growing up. Career. Those that deal with death. Something like that.

Alternatively, you could not focus so much on particular essays, but organize the discussion by themes she touches on (e.g. love, marriage, writing, loss, adventure), and open up the discussion for people to draw from any of the essays they choose.

Or you could just pull themes or ideas from certain of her essays and have that lead the discussion. Just as some quick examples, I thought her idea that "[t]here can be something cruel about people who have had good fortune. They equate it with personal goodness" was profound and thought-provoking.

Just some ideas. Good luck!
Image for This is the Story of a Happy Marriage