Justin Reynoso

Any sexual content?

To answer questions about Shards of Honour, please sign up.
Jackson Petro Not truly, but with a few important caveat. There are characters and they have sex. But in this entire series which I have reread thrice, I cannot recall anything I would call sexually explicit in the titillating sense. When sex is discussed it either is (1) not detailed in any sort of titillating way, often recollected or just skimmed over as having occurred and not described. (2) It is mentioned in the context of social implications (this is the most common actually and comes up more in late books). Or (3) in one occurrence in this book it is discussing the occurrence of an aborted rape. The language used on this occasion is in my mind rather clinical, and the entire situation is more viewed more through a psychological lens rather than a physical one, no upsetting physical description beyond the fact that the occurrence itself is naturally upsetting. This can no doubt be disturbing to some readers but the incident is pretty profound in the development of three different characters, the rape is aborted, and is nothing I think I would object to even a child of suitable maturity reading.
Sheryl Hill None of Bujold's books contain explicit sexual content.
Alex Shrugged It is clear that the author has created a universe where sexual standards vary from planet to planet with Beta Colony being the most liberal and Barrayar being the most conservative. The author tends to introduce unusual sexual relationships as if they are normal, and without dwelling on it. This is the future, after all.

In Shards of Honor a war is going on. With war comes violence. Some of that violence involves rape. It is anticipated. It is not described in any detail although at least one near-sexual encounter is cringe-worthy. I suppose it depends on one's own imagination. Past homosexuality is implied. Past adultery is discussed. Premarital sex is discussed.

Here is an example of how the author approaches a sexual subject without describing it in detail (edited to remove spoilers): "She slipped out of the side of the bed... and began searching frantically through the metal drawers and cupboards that lined the room. A couple of the drawers contained his toy collection, and she shut them hastily, nauseated..."

The author leaves it to the imagination as to what was in the drawers. I appreciate that.
Kristin
Image for Shards of Honour
by Lois McMaster Bujold (Goodreads Author)