Arthur
Arthur asked:

Could anyone break down what the four MCs' identities are? I've seen a review that just said "one of the characters is trans" and lots that mention diversity in race and sexuality, but I'm putting together a book rec list, and I need to know which characters ID as what specifically. Thanks!

To answer questions about To Be Taught, If Fortunate, please sign up.
Estel One of the characters is trans (male identifying, likely AFAB), one is ace, one is bi/pan (not clearly stated but in relationships with both men and women) and poly, and the last is in a female-female relationship with the third but doesn't have more revealed to narrow down sexuality from there. It's also lovely because all their identities just *are*; the plot is about them being astronauts and exploring the universe.
Matthew Whyndham No idea. I had them pegged them as Pilot, Engineer, Biologist and Geologist. After that, Monitor/Evaluator, Resource Investigator, Plant, and Specialist (see Belbin). They seemed to have a patchwork of sexual/gender identities of course, but that was about 3 layers down.
Dan As per other answers, the whole sexual identity thing is mentioned in a handful of sentences and does not take centre stage. With a few of them I totally lost track of genders, and it didn't really matter anyhow.
Gouthami Sajjanagandla I had no idea! I just read this book and I didn't even on pick up on the fact Jack is trans? Where does it say that? And how were we to know that Chikondi is an ace? Only thing I picked up is that the narrator is bi, poly, some version of such.
rachel, x i wouldn't normally pile on but some of the other answers are just erroneous and as i literally just finished this book less than five minutes ago, i thought i'd provide some clarification. jack is a trans man, elena is sapphic and mexican, chikondi is ace and zambian, and adriane (the narrating mc) is mga & polyam. from the book and us edition's cover, i would say she's coded as black but i'm confused by other people's reviews and comments that say otherwise, so i won't verify that 100%.
Sarah narrating character: assumed white, bi/pan/poly
character 2: ace, indicated asian-indian
character 3: in a f/f relationship, from Texas, possibly from a Latin American family background? I don't remember if it's specifically stated, it's a short book
character 4: trans f>m, Australian? Canadian? these are background details, never a big deal to the story.
Image for To Be Taught, If Fortunate
by Becky Chambers (Goodreads Author)