Karen Loft
Karen Loft asked:

One of the things I didn’t understand reading this was the way Cathy felt about will .. from the beginning Cathy wasn’t being very nice to Sarah about her relationship which in truth has nothing to do with her mum .. but after the unthinkable happened she showed her true colours towards will ... I found that hard to read and couldn’t understand why Karin would write that storyline.?

To answer questions about The Last Widow, please sign up.
Laura This might be an unpopular opinion but I’ve never really liked Cathy. I don’t think it’s cute how she tries to bulldoze her grown children’s lives, and she was really unfair about Will.
Karisa Magnuson larsen The relationship between Cathy and Sarah has always annoyed me. Sarah needed to grow a backbone and Cathy needed say her mind then let things go! I am just starting this book and so far nothing has changed between then. Hopefully by the end of the book they have a parents and adult child relationship!
sublimosa Karin Slaughter writes about things that are not pretty, but based in reality. There are tons of parents who don't like the person their offspring are involved with, right or wrong. Jeffrey, Sarah's first husband, was socially adept and used to being liked, despite his own past. Will is socially inept, awkward and expects rejection. Internal dialogue colors how we present ourselves and therefore affect how we are perceived.
Parents often blame a partner when a child is harmed, believing if the child had not been with that person the harm wouldn't have occurred. Heck, parents turn on each other in times of crisis.
I think the storyline was very powerful-Will choosing to reach out , Cathy choosing to invite Will into the family prayer-both of them choosing hope and openness instead of fear.
Image for The Last Widow
by Karin Slaughter (Goodreads Author)