Ng Lai
Ng Lai asked:

Can someone explain the ending please? I'm confused about the part regarding Mrs Santiago.

To answer questions about 2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas, please sign up.
Michelle Mcroberts
Farahjoan I felt that every time something like this occurred when Madeleine sang--when her parents first hear her and everything in the kitchen starts to fly, when her principal becomes overcome with it, when Mrs. Santiago floats away--it is a metaphor for the joy the singing brings others. It really resonated with me, as a musician, even if I found it odd. Just like the ending says, "bring your sorry shit back tomorrow"...in the meantime, the music lifts you up.
Linda A little magical realism now and then never hurt anyone.
Adrienne I took the ending as a metaphor for Mrs. Santiago's pleasure, similar to what Principal Randles experienced; I felt it was unnecessary and confusing.
Jann Barber
Image for 2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas
by Marie-Helene Bertino (Goodreads Author)