Robert Eggleton

Bryan Zepp Jamieson found, "In one sequence, Lacy Dawn remarks matter-of-factly that a classmate was whipped to death, and notes that the assailant, the girl’s father, had to change his underpants afterward because they were soiled with semen. Odd, and often chilling notes, abound." Too gross?

To answer questions about Rarity from the Hollow, please sign up.
Mary Thornburg Odd? Chilling? Too gross? Chilling, yes -- horrifying, probably. And probably to some readers it's "odd," or maybe a better word would be "surprising" or even "shocking." But I doubt if anyone who's read widely or had much experience in the field of clinical psychology would either find the father's reaction unusual or find Lacy Dawn's matter-of-fact acceptance of such things strange. Sadly, many children in our world need to grow up fast in order to survive.

And... too gross? Well, we're talking about literature here. I don't KNOW this, but I'm pretty sure that "Huckleberry Finn" made some of the readers who'd loved "Tom Sawyer" quite uncomfortable. And I'm guessing that Mark Twain's answer to that would have been, "Well, then don't read it."
Image for Rarity from the Hollow
by Robert Eggleton (Goodreads Author)