Tony Gambaro
Tony Gambaro asked:

Really? This is on my son's school curriculum as a 9th grader! Can you say indoctrination! According to the book we have 6 years till total collapse! A great example of the liberal mindset! Congrats!

To answer questions about Empty, please sign up.
Cyokie Having a "liberal" mindset does not justify the quality of a piece of literature. Neither does having a "conservative" mindset, or anything in between. That being said, this is probably one of my least favorite books of all time, but determining it's bad because it's "liberal" is really not the most intelligent way to critique a book.
Kendall Moore Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fear monger whereas Rush Limbaugh is an obfuscating fool who treats his naivety as logical. Two sides of the same coin.

Try to enjoy the concept of societal collapse from a Ballardian perspective.
SaraKat I consider myself very liberal and even I found this preachy and the science was very weak. I don't think the literary quality merits being put on a school required reading list.
Ellen Might I recommend "Six Degrees" by Mark Lynas, so as to provide context to your thoughts. It appears you have asked a rhetorical question with the intent to state your opinion without having read the book. Also, "Empty" is dystopian fiction. (Let's emphasize: f i c t i o n.) George Orwell wrote "1984" and yet it appears that London somehow didn't get bombed out in that particular year and become a dystopian fascist hellscape as he wrote. Breathe, everyone.
Max W Your a liberal, you need to stop being a liberal.
Image for Empty