Lolfailfake
Lolfailfake asked:

Is this book appropriate for a 9th grader content and skill wise?

Kayla I honestly believe that high school students should not be censored from reading books of any kind (maybe minus pornography because that's illegal) but students need to have a better understanding of the world that they live in. What better way to do that than to allow those students to read about it.
Don O'goodreader K-12 teacher - The maturity of 9th graders vary a lot, but I would vote: appropriate. I did not notice any graphic violence or explicit sex, though violence and sex is discussed. Given the subject matter --- growing up as a female in a conservative, patriarchal society --- this is a most positive and hopeful book. I'd recommend it for all high school students. WARNING: If you are a teacher, your parents, principals, or administrators might have a different opinion.
Tiffany Oh, a ninth grader can and definitely should read this book. It is very powerful--because it makes you think about privilege, gender roles, society, war, etc. You are bound to have some great discussions from reading this book.
Linda I think this book may help high school kids appreciate their education. In Afghanistan an education is denied to most people. The rural literacy rate is only 10%. But no, there is no graphic sex or violence. There are incidents of wife beating and kid's fistfights in the streets. There are mentions of rape. It is milder than anything kids see in YA books now. The injustice will, and should make readers angry. And, like I said, maybe it will help them appreciate being able to read and write.
Margot As a high school librarian, I do not think there is anything in this book that would make deem it inappropriate for 9th graders. It does not gloss over tough realities but is not explicit.
Edward Cos Very interesting, this book gave me a good insight of Afghanistan that i didn't know about. My question is when these girls went through puberty. How did they disguise themselves as males. I think it would be obvious eve acting as a tomboy to differentiate a male from a female by facial and body features.
Victoria Yes! I would enthusiastically recommend it for a 9th grader.
Maggi I think it would be fine for a 9th grader but it does get a bit dull.
Heather Yes, for most high-schoolers. Skill-wise the challenge is mostly geography and culture (Tajik, hadith, Pashtun, kohl, Dari, Pentagon, burka, fedora, inshallah, etc.), plus the conceptual thinking. The trickiest vocab words are on the level of 'echelon'. The most explicit content sections are a hospital nurse who sees dismembered bombing victims and a wife who is beaten by her husband. The interviews are sympathetic and many teens are featured. I read the beginning to my 10th-grade son and we discussed it. The book is an engaging read for non-fiction.
Charlotte Blessing This would be a great book for a high school gender studies class.
Image for The Underground Girls of Kabul
by Jenny Nordberg (Goodreads Author)