Kathy O'connor

Is this a book for adults or young people?

To answer questions about The Night Gardener, please sign up.
Citra I am an adult, and I believe this book is brilliant. I also find it creepy enough.
Elizabeth Meadows I read it because it has been chosen as a Florida Sunshine State Young Reader Award nominee for 6th - 8th graders. As an adult, I enjoyed it, but I do not normally read scary or creepy books. I found it to be very enjoyable and I was on the edge of my seat near the end. I have an eleven year old daughter who would like to read it and I told her that she really should just read it in the daytime to avoid potential nightmares, since she also does not usually read this type of book.
Reva Trivedi I think it's a book for both, honestly. Some adults would find it spooky/creepy but then again other adults might get bored.
Sherry As I'm reading this, I wonder why people avoid old fashioned fairy tales. This is scarier than they are by far. I'm enjoying it but I know it would have scared my kids when they were little.
Ben Norton Actually, I intended to show this to my nine year old. I don't regularly update my good reads account but enjoyed this book so much I had popped on to leave a review. So, as the the question, I enjoyed this book very much and honestly had the thought pop in my head, while reading, that it was almost like it was written for younger readers. Somewhat scary. Very spooky.
Karin Franklin I enjoyed it. I'm a childless adult who doesn't work with kids or in a library. Make of that what you will.
Chad Children. The Wall Street Journal's reviewer recommended Auxier's previous book for readers ages 9-14. After reading about a third of The Night Gardener, I think that age range should likely be lowered. The book is certainly too juvenile for anyone in high school.

Stated differently: The Night Gardener is not YA, but rather children's lit. Only an adult with a professional interest in books intended for younger children, or who has younger children of his/her own, would likely find it compelling.
Image for The Night Gardener
by Jonathan Auxier (Goodreads Author)