Goodreads asked Andrew J. Stillman:

Andrew J. Stillman There's usually a lot of crying and self doubt involved. I think writer's block, for me anyway, is directly related to depression. Sometimes I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. Sometimes I feel like I'm just trapped inside of a dark room in my head. Sometimes it's because of my writing, sometimes it's not. But there's nothing as terrifying as staring at a blank page and thinking I don't have it in me anymore. Thinking things like "I've forgotten how to write" or "I'm never going to get the sequel finished" or anything related to that. It's awful. It really is. It's not like in high school or college where you have an essay you're procrastinating. When you become an author, when you make writing your life, and you get to a point where you think you've lost it -- it hurts.

Usually, I let it ride for a while. You can't force yourself to write, or it's going to be more awful than it needs to be. It oftentimes comes after I've been writing A LOT and my brain just needs a break, and its way of telling me that is to stop working. We have that kind of a relationship, me and my brain. Then I'll do something like go on a hike. Or get a random idea for a chapter, or a various other story. All of a sudden, all I'm doing is writing. I'll wake up at 8 and at 3 I'll realize I haven't moved in 7 hours. But those days, especially the first ones after a long suffering of writer's block, are some of the best days. Accomplishment trumps writer's block any day.