Goodreads asked Andrew J. Stillman:

Andrew J. Stillman I'm a big nature buff. I grew up in the foothills of Yosemite, and we didn't have too many neighbors where I grew up. The closest houses were vacation homes, and the closest people who lived there too were my parent's friends. I used to do my homework in school, so when I came home, I could just run around in our acre's-worth of forest in my backyard. That was where I always came up with story ideas, when it was just me and the trees.

Nowadays, I just go on hikes. Adulthood certainly comes with a lot more responsibilities than childhood, and I don't have homework I can just finish at school. I have to carve out time to get back into nature, but I think it's totally worth it. There's something about the silence, the peace that a forest brings that I find truly inspirational. There's even a subtle sense of danger. We've all seen horror movies in the forest. You never know what lays just around the corner....