Goodreads asked Jerry Hanel:

Jerry Hanel A friend and I sat down over lunch one day, many years ago, to discuss if dinosaurs are real, yet no longer roam the earth, what about things like trolls, faeries, elves, etc. Just because we haven't found evidence of them doesn't mean that they never existed, especially since almost every culture in the world discusses creatures fitting these same stereotypes.

Being a Christian, I thought I'd look up scriptures to see what God had said about such creatures. After all, Genesis talks about the world being a sphere and it was written 6000 years before Christ... 8000 years ago. And what I found astounded me. There ARE creatures that the bible references that we have no modern contemporary equivalent for. That lead into me imagining how other things might have come into existence... darker, more sinister things.

And thus, the idea for Fort Reiley, my latest project.