Stephen
Stephen asked:

This is the first Murakami book I have read (regrettably) and I have loved it. Want to read more but it seems that some of his fiction appeals to certain readers more than others? anyway any recommendations based on the fact I really enjoyed this one. I loved the quirkiness of it. Any ideas welcome. Thanks

Larry Piper I've never read a Murakami book I didn't like, even What I Talk About When I Talk About Running and Underground. My favorite, I think, was Wind-up Bird Chronicle, which was also the first of his books I ever read. I adored Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and Kafka on the Shore and was quite taken by Norwegian Wood. But as I said, I've never read a book of his I didn't like. I was beyond elated when I discovered he'd come out with a new book. It took me all of ten minutes, after said discovery, to reserve it at the library.
R.T. Payne I've only read two others, but they were both excellent: "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" and "Norwegian Wood." I think you'd like "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" if you liked "Colorless" -- Murakami tackles some of the same questions and it has the same dash of magical realism. It's longer and more intense -- "Colorless" seemed subtle in comparison.

"Norwegian Wood" is quite different -- more of a traditional love story, set in the 60's. But the characters are unforgettable, and I'm sure the book has earned a spot in other "All Time Top Ten" lists than mine.
Nojuliette I've read most of his books. My favorite one is Kafka on the Shore. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is next followed by Norwegian Wood. Enjoy!
Hastin I have read 3 of his books. I really love Norwegian Wood. It's so deep depressed story. I'll keep hunting for his books.
Image for Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage