Ðɑηηɑ
Ðɑηηɑ asked:

Why was this book banned? An IMDb-style Parents Guide.

To answer questions about Peyton Place, please sign up.
Aida You need to put yourself into the time frame which the book was published (1956), before the sexual revolution, before birth control or having sex before marriage. Child abuse/sexual abuse was a hidden concept, not published or litigated openly to the public.
Barry Marks When "Peyton Place" was first published I was in high school (yep, I'm an old guy) and I always had the book I was currently reading in my hip pocket. That had never been a problem till a teacher saw me with this book. I was sent to the principal and then sent home with the understanding that I wouldn't get back into school till my parents talked to the principal. Both the teacher and the principal were very incensed that I was reading that book and they were certain my parents didn't know how evil I was being. By the way I was 15 at the time.

My parents came the next morning and my father told the principal in no uncertain terms that it was fine for me to read that book. They had both read it. The copy I was carrying had been theirs and they usually passed their books to me. I was re-admitted to school with the proviso that I not carry books in my hip pocket anymore. :)

Today that book wouldn't be given a second thought except by those silly people who go around banning books for whatever inane reason they might have. The average person would probably describe it as mild. It had sexual situations but there wasn't anything explicit.

In those days it was considered a filthy book. The world has changed and in this case for the better.

I've re-read "Peyton Place" about every five years since then. What everyone overlooked then is that it's a truly beautiful book, with fascinating characters who seem to breathe. And Metalous is a wonderful wordsmith.

Barry
Raine.r.pierre Pre-marital sex, incestous, adultery, and abortion, which was illegal to perform way before the Roe vs. Wade decision.
Catherine Haustein
Image for Peyton Place