Shelley Joan
Shelley Joan asked:

I'm eager to hear more bout the The Great Railway Bazaar. I'm looking for a good adventure railroad book.

To answer questions about The Great Railway Bazaar, please sign up.
Richa Kandpal It was an amazing read for me! the author's observations make up for an interesting read and his dry and at times ironic humour is something that keep up the pace of the story even during some of the not-so-interesting stretches of his journey... The essence of a travelogue lies not just in the places of interest seen, but also in the interesting observations made during the journeys; and in this context the book by Paul Theroux is a benchmark!! but it would have been better had the author not been so scornful of everything and everyone he came across... a positive outlook towards people we meet can cheer up even the worst of journeys and this is something the author scores low upon!! but overall it is a good read for anyone who loves to explore new places!!!!
Jeff I'm almost halfway, but this is got to be one of the best travel books ever written. It's not just about places, it's about a journey, people, modes of transport, and, yes, some local flavor. So far: Great.
Shamim E. Haque This is a great book! But it is a very realistic depiction of the journey and not an emotional flowery reaction to the pleasures of travel. I think the Indian section is particularly harsh. It is a very enjoyable book though.
Kat Karnes I just finished it last night. I've read a string of recent-ish travelogues -- In Trouble Again, The Last Pink Bits, The Songlines, etc. -- and this was the funniest of all of them. I really enjoyed it, and will be reading more of his books. Yes, it's a little snarky, but he doesn't lose his sense of wonder...even if it's not always positive wonder, if that makes any sense.
Image for The Great Railway Bazaar