Goodreads asked Susanne Burge:

Susanne Burge I write what I am passionate about - human rights, the power of the human spirit to rise above extreme adversity and the redeeming power of love and I am a doctor, who has always intended to work in places of real need. So the tragic story of Abbas Khan, a British hand surgeon with a young family who went back to Syria to help his people, struck a chord. That, along with documented evidence of Assad’s systematic torture and murder of his people, spurred me into writing this story. Ana is who I might have been.
By writing this I am trying to understand how such tragedy could have befallen the people of Syria and how man is capable of such inhumanity to man. Finally, in the words of Karen Blixen “All sorrows can be borne if you put them into a story or tell a story about them.”