Goodreads asked Clare Cogbill:

Clare Cogbill My most recent book is a vegan cookbook. Just as I feel passionate about dogs, I feel passionate about all animals, and I guess this book is my contribution to demonstrating how simple it can be to eat vegan. I haven't added it on here yet - I guess I better had.
A Soldier Like Jack is my latest 'proper' book, and the idea for that came from a true story I stumbled across when doing family research about World War One. At every turn the story became more fascinating and (once I had written Ralph's story) I became completely absorbed in it, researching in every spare minute I could find and constantly corroborating the information I found with birth/marriage/death certificates and war documents. I loved every minute of it and, once the book had reached its natural conclusion, I felt an empty space in my life. My one regret is that my mother didn't live long enough to see it in print.