Candace
Candace asked:

loved this book....was just a little disappointed in the ending

To answer questions about Little Bee, please sign up.
Patti Quintano I disagree with some opinions below. I think the story was much bigger than Bee's story . . . that is why the ending sublimate's Bee's little story to the bigger story still being written by and in the world.

I think the question of Bee's future is left open-ended, as a symbol of where we are now with the many social and cultural challenges before us as a global community that are presented in the novel . . . our future with these issues looks bleak like Bee's at the "end" of the book, but the end hasn't come yet, the last chapter still unwritten. It's not too late to write a happy ending for us as well, just as you can imagine that Sarah is not going to just walk away from Bee's future, either.

Jeanne Mixon I think the point was that she believed she had sacrificed her life to help Charles. And I do think her story is supposed to be a broader one -- that there are no happy answers when these immigrants are deported back to their home countries. He wants you to realize that that is a cruel murderous cop out, an abnegation of our global responsibility to help innocent helpless people. A very timely story for today.
Bryn I was also disappointed. I get that there is a larger story going on in the world, but I didn't pick up a book written "by and in the world", I picked up a book by Chris Cleave about Little Bee and Sarah and Charlie. What makes a story interesting to read, and this one definitely was that, is that it is different from what normally happens. This is why we don't read stories about how someone got up one morning, ate breakfast and brushed her teeth, went to work, and came home afterward. We read stories about how she intended to do all that, but something unusual interrupted the normal routine. This is also why we love redemption stories - because we are so used to things falling apart, going downhill, not working out. What's interesting is a story that interrupts that expectation; the characters, for some reason THIS time, deal with things differently; and the result is something beautiful and unexpected, or something unjust is put right, or people come to understand something they didn't before, they grow up and change and become better people. This all was definitely happening in this story....up until the end. Darn.
Sho I thought the ending - about the last third of the book - was weak. In fact I wouldn't have been surprised if Little Bee woke up and it had been a dream and she was still in the detention centre, or the farm.
Patrick Lueck Well, count me in. First 75% was awesome...but he just couldn't keep up the intensity. Still, though..a great book...really should be 4.5 stars.
Cheryl Hurst
Nicola Same here. Leaves us hanging a bit...
Image for Little Bee
by Chris Cleave (Goodreads Author)