Shelly Haskell

I have the Robinson Crusoe book retold by Edward Dolch, c. 1958. I recently read this version and found that the story changes the name of Will Atkins to Tom Atkins at the end of the book. I was confused and wondered if it was a typo or if I was missing a point about another character.

To answer questions about Robinson Crusoe, please sign up.
Sean DeLauder Amazing catch. I read this book numerous times as a kid and never (to my recollection) noticed the error--if that's what it is. There is a Tom Smith on the English ship who answers the call of Robert when they retake the ship, but "Will Atkins" is consistently "Will Atkins" in every other version of the story I've seen. This is either an error or an unexplained colloquialism, which would be surprising in such a severely abridged and simplified story.
Image for Robinson Crusoe