Michael Jensen
Michael Jensen asked Evan James Clark:

What inspired the plot of Movers? It must have been something pretty unusual!

Evan James Clark Thank you for the question!

Movers actually started out as a short story that grew significantly during the writing. The original concept had to do with a popular trope, the moving shop that wasn't there yesterday. I'd previously been in shipping for a major bookstore for several years, and I had worked with a lot of interesting, unique, and usually weird guys. Basically, one day I thought of what it must be like to be the unseen overnight crew for a magic storefront, with all the personal drama added in for good measure. As for the guys I'd worked with, well, it was a damn good thing none of us had been in charge of world-shattering supernatural agency.

That said, Jamie Christop grew on his own and took the story to stranger places than I'd imagined. He was a scary guy to write, because I either had to draw from people I knew or from myself, which is an odd feeling when you're writing someone that morally twisted. Perhaps I was driven to write out of a hope that he would improve. I'm still surprised by how much one character (or two, maybe) can guide a piece of fiction, and what came out of that was certainly different from what I had in mind when I started.