I don't like the Amish much, but I like the idea of a woman in a strong position of power. Will I enjoy this book?

To answer questions about Sworn to Silence, please sign up.
Joanne I believe that you would. The Amish theme is there but not overwhelming. It's an engaging mystery novel and one you should give a try.
Audrey Gorman Yes, you will like this book. It doesn't talk about the amish much, they are just in an amish town.
Christine Whittington I think you will enjoy it. I grew up in an area of Indiana with many Amish and Mennonite communities and certainly did not have a romanticized impression of the Amish. Although Linda Castillo's descriptions of the Amish people area a bit more idealized and simplistic than realistic, I found them basically accurate and not intrusive. It is certainly not an "Amish romance"! (Yes, that is a thing.)

Linda Castillo's book is a real page-turner--the most compelling I have read since Thomas Harris's Hannibal Lecter books. (Those are the gold standard against which I measure all serial killer novels!)
Vicki You will enjoy the stories if you can handle hearing the same stuff over and over. Not just from one book to another, but even within each book. Makes me feel treated like an idiot who can't retain information from one chapter to the next.
Don't get me wrong. The suspense is very well crafted and heart pounding moments abound.
But the editing is also terrible as I have found a number of grammatical errors which is unacceptable. An author is a story teller and can be forgiven the odd error, but a good editor will catch these errors.
I am on my 6th book!
Anne I just finished this book and am starting book 2 of the series. If you like murder mysteries you will enjoy this book. It was a really fast, easy read as there is always something happening. Not really any "slow" parts.
Mary "I don't like the Amish much." I can't believe you said that. Any other group you have decided that it is ok to say that about?
Patricia Barnett This series doesn't paint the idealized version of the Amish that so many of the fiction books about them do. In these books the Amish are just as capable of being the villain as anyone else. It portrays them as human having the same frailties that their English neighbors do. The main character, Kate, was Amish until she was 18, but has been living as English since then.
Image for Sworn to Silence
by Linda Castillo (Goodreads Author)