Goodreads asked Donna W. Hill:

Donna W. Hill Good question. This is one I still struggle with, especially since my novel was published. I think it's important to know what's at the root of the block.

Lately, I spend so much time writing promotional material for the book that I have a hard time transitioning between that kind of writing and the writing I'd rather do. I have been doing my own PR since I was pursuing my singer-songwriter career, so I'm too comfortable with doing it myself and too ego-invested in doing it to consider paying someone else, which would free up my time if not my wallet.

But, I have struggled with the issue of allowing myself to step away from the endless work of promoting one book to the joy of writing others. I've made some progress in the past few months, but I know that budgeting my time is a problem for me and must watch out for my natural inclination to push everything aside except the promotion stuff.

There are other reasons for writer's block, of course. The most common, IMO, is that the writer has not thoroughly thought through the story or the characters. Sometimes, we can't go forward, because we haven't figured out that we're trying to make something happen that isn't organic to who are characters are. Sometimes, it's that we haven't taken the pulse of all of the perspectives that are going on in our imaginary world. We want to focus on one thing, while another thing is more plausible. Who else in the story would be trying to impact the plot at this point? What possible interactions between the various players is most likely to create a twist we weren't initially thinking of.

My advice is to step away from the keyboard and take a walk. Allow your brain to find neutral, and take a breath.