Lauren
Lauren asked:

So, I've recently had to urge to re-read this. Admittedly, it was partially due to me watching "Troy" when I was sick this past weekend, but I also feel like there were aspects of the story that I missed while speed reading it for school and over analyzing every spear throw. Is there anyone who's felt this and actually followed through? Was it worth it? Is there anyone out there as crazy as I feel I am right now?

To answer questions about The Iliad, please sign up.
James Foster I used to read it every year or two. After a pause of a few years, I am reading it again. Every time, it blows me away. I pick up new things. This time around, I realized how many people and gods were raging from the very beginning. Why wasn't this called the wrath of Agammemnon? Or Apollo? Or Chrysis? and so on.

Is there a difference between rage and wrath?

...well worth reading!
Stuart Dummit Recently got the sense that I was missing out on understanding some basics of Western Culture, so I started working backwards until I realized I should start at the beginning. Gilgamesh, then Homer, then Plato and Aristotle. I'd read bits of the Iliad in the past, but never the whole of it. More of the Odyssey, but, again, never enough to truly say I had "read" either. So, Lauren, don't feel crazy! If you are, you've got company. The Introduction by Bernard Knox in the Robert Fagles translation is quite good and is making me confident that I'll be triumphant in my quest. Worth it? I think it shall be.
Mark Brantingham The most common (and very prevalent) misunderstanding concerning the Illiad is failing to understand that the Illiad is the epitome of classic tragedy. The Iliad is "The Tragedy of Hektor." So much is made of Achilles. Homer certainly does not idealize Achilles. Achilles is an immortal brat who literally cries to his mommy to get what he wants. The epithet "by the hollow ships" and other none too subtle clues straight from Homer make it clear that all Homer's empathy is with Hektor. The Achaeans are immortals with the very gods at their backs. Hektor is merely a man who stood against the very gods themselves, even though he knew very well it would be his death to do so. The movie Troy and the majority of scholarly opinion somehow manages to miss this simple and obvious reality. Achilles has been miscast as some type of a hero by a culture that doesn't understand the point of the Illiad.
Kelly The movie was a poor version of the book. Eliminating the Olympians was a bad idea, and Pitt and Bana are bland choices for Achilles and Hector (I did like Brian Cox as Agamemnon--that's close to how I always envisioned the character to look).
The 1997 tv mini-series has a mini-Iliad prologue--shot in the actual place that Troy was said to have been.
I re-read the book last week. I like the Fagles translation a lot--I have read a couple others (Lattimore, Rieu) but Fagles has a nice flow.
Diomedes should be better known given that he successfully attacks both Love and War.
I also think Iris is funny in one scene where she embellishes the instructions of Zeus to call someone a bitch to reinforce the point.
Boy Blue Definitely worth reading again. There are characters and stories in here that never seem to reach the public consciousness. Diomedes is a perfect example, he defeats a God in combat. If you haven't read the odyssey though you should try that instead. It's more of a journey narrative but it's also brilliant.
Hannah Rinald I had to read it again for an undergrad class on Ancient Greece. Definitely a better read as a willing adult (and from a historical/cultural perspective) than a sullen and unwilling teenager (from a lit perspective that I didn't understand yet). The Odyssey seems a better fit for high school.
Ann I much prefer the Odyssey over The Iliad.I just couldnt keep with the story of it. Too many characters in one book to keep track of the characters.
Tony Manero The movie is a great failure..I mean in terms of being close to the original story i mean..As a movie overall its nice..But its connection with the book is minimal..You need to read the book..And make sure the translation corresponds as much as possible to the original...Thats always the case with translations..Try to find the best one..And then read..You will understand the huge gap between the actual book and the movie..
Yousef M Never read it, picked up the audiobook on Audible. I'm about half way through and enjoying it very much. Was never into classics or ancient Greek literature but reading the history of Istanbul/Constantinople and the impact this epic had on the imaginations of all the rulers of the city sparked an interest. I should add I think it's more enjoyable being listened to as the voice actors really bring this tale to life (it was probably recited orally for many centuries before mass literacy was accomplished).
M.L. Sparrow This is the third time I've re-read The Iliad after being introduced to it in College. I'd definitely re-read it if I were you, in class you skim read and spend so much time analysing that a lot is lost. Every time I re-read The Iliad I find things that I didn't the previous times, or that I just forgot because there is so much going on!
Pamela White I am the same with the Iliad..but they have words i just don't understand..What the hell is a Heckertain?..beats the hell out of me, but the spelling may be off, so its not gen thats the work, something to do with offerings to the gods...Anyone?
Darren Greer I am currently re-reading it for research purposes. The first time I read it was in Turkey, on the site of the historical Troy (called Truva by the Turks). I've sometimes wondered if the unusual circumstance of that first read made a difference in my enjoyment level, which was definitely very high. The second read confirms that it did not, or at least I am enjoying it as much the now as the first. I think translation matters. The first time I read the E.V. Rieu translation, which, having nothing to compare it to, seemed superb. This time I tried reading the W.H.D Rouse translation, and found it very flat and rigid. I switched back to Rieu after a couple of chapters. Alas, the Rieu translation is not listed on Goodreads, so I chose a random one from the pile. I have no opinion on the Robert Fagles translation.
Annelise I'm a sophomore in high school and I loved it. If you didn't understand it the first time, I definitely recommend trying again, probably with an audio to read along with. my literature teacher is excellent and has recordings of the entire thing so I am sure that contributed to me actually understanding each event and joke as I went through. :)
Image for The Iliad
by Homer