Goodreads asked Dan E. Arndt:

Dan E. Arndt The idea for Angels & Bullies of St. Alered High came from observing my students in and out of the classroom. I worked at an inner-city charter school where a good portion of my students were there because of the Juvenile court system - basically, attend school every day or go to lock-up. Anyways, the students I had continually got into fights (if you fight it's an automatic 5-10 day suspension, which is a legal excuse not to go to school). Most of the fights happened because of misunderstandings. At the Catholic and public schools I worked at, I saw the same behaviors happen with bullying.

The original idea for the novel was about 10 students who were completely different (jocks, nerds, etc). These 10 students would have been the surviving members of the freshman class that end up forming a bond and changing the school. This concept changed when I decided to focus more on the behaviors of the bully and the target.