Betsy Wilson
Betsy Wilson asked:

Is there anything inappropriate in the book that an upper elementary school kid shouldn't read?

To answer questions about Freak the Mighty, please sign up.
Katrina
Jay Rossignol Yes!! This book contains graphic, horrifying violence and mental and physical child abuse, murder and attempted child murder by their parent. I couldn't believe it when my elementary age girl told me about it after she couldn't sleep for a few weeks. If you want your child to have thoughts of their father murdering his mother, breaking the neck of his little friend and trying to strangle him, as opposed to stories that foster imagination, fantasy and hope, you're a very disturbws parent pretending your "woke" moral apathy is somehow beneficial for a child. My kids are still sensitive and don't need to be traumatized in order to understand empathy and other positive themes the book attempts to instantiate.
Luka Baldridge There isnt because it shows things that can help people be nice etc.
Daniel No not really it is a good book for 4th through 8th grades because the words Moron, and stuff is not as always good but a 4th grader and all middle school could read this and be fine reading it.
Amelia Villella Not really anything inappropriate for 3rd graders and up. I read this i 4rth grade though...
Lily I read this book as a read aloud in fourth grade and I was fine. As long as you have someone to discuss the book with, you should be fine. It's really a very good book!
Deb not if you think your kid is mature enough to read about his father kidnapping him, tying him up, then choking him, which makes the main character remember a childhood memory of his dad choking his mother to her death. Not inappropriate at all
Kim Nakai My nephew is in 4th grade and we read this book together.
Christi I think the content in the book may be too old for elementary students.
Image for Freak the Mighty