Emily
Emily asked:

Would this be a good read for a 6th grader?

To answer questions about A Tale of Two Cities, please sign up.
Sarah I think it's wonderful that you're thinking of branching out to more intense literature! A Tale of Two Cities is a wonderful read, and I believe that it was worth every single second I put into it!

That said, this book is going to be a challenge. I would never discourage anyone from reading this book, but I don't want you going into this thinking it's going to be a breeze and getting discouraged when you find it's not.

On the other hand, I also don't want to chalk up A Tale of Two Cities into this huge literary behemoth which can never be scaled, causing you to not even try.

Try. Yes, the writing will get confusing at times. No, it's not impossible to get through it. Just keep in mind that while A Tale of Two Cities is by no means a simple book, it's also not extremely difficult. The best advice I can give you is to keep a dictionary around. And if you ever come across something that just doesn't make sense in the plot, make sure to to reread it and lock it in your mind. It all makes sense later. If you come across a sentence or a paragraph which is giving you some trouble, the best thing to do is read it over a few times.

And please, don't feel bad if you're having some trouble. I've had trouble with Dickens in the past, and I've been in the literary game for a long time.

All the best~
Erin Walters Yes, I think it is. I myself am a 6th grader and I LOVED this book. The Victorian language isn't hard to understand at all! I highly recommend this book. You won't regret reading it. If you do read it, get the unabridged version, so that you can enjoy Dickens in his full glory. Waiting until high school to read this book is ridiculous (in my opinion) unless you don't enjoy slightly challenging reads. Thank you!
McKenna Bourgo No! This book has a sort of language (Victorian) that is very difficult to follow. A 6th grader would be lost in the first paragraph. (I kid you not) it's like asking a first grader to read the whole Bible, and understand it. It's not to be taken by any offense, it's a really hard to read book. If the 6th grader was a strong reader, I suggest that person read this book when they are a sophomore in high school. It might be bearable to read then.
Ashishg No. Narrative is slow and language is Victorian. Book isn't fast paced to be interesting enough.
Image for A Tale of Two Cities