Caffee K.
Caffee K. asked May Woodworth:

Do you have any advice about marketing for self-published authors? That seems to be where I'm getting stuck.

May Woodworth You may be stuck if you are labeling yourself exclusively as self-published. Unless you plan to never, ever sign a contract with a publisher, you may want to simply call yourself an author.
As an author, there are a ton of author resources on the internet. I only do free social media sites, unless a site has shown to increase me, or my books exposure.
How do I get exposure? Allot time EVERY week to find sites to tap into. This translates into several hours of googling author resources/social media. You never know what you will discover when perusing the internet.. One thing leads to another.
Promotion is a part of every authors life, unless you can afford a publicist/promoter. If you see it as part of writing, it is easier to allot the required time.
Hope that helps.