James Westhoff

To answer questions about A Fire Upon the Deep, please sign up.
Sanjai Tripathi That bothered me for a sec too, until I remembered it was briefly mentioned that Steel had learned of Johanna's use of the term and liked it, so he started calling his race that.
J. Sanja Tripathi said: "it was briefly mentioned that Steel had learned of Johanna's use of the term and liked it, so he started calling his race that". Still James Westhoff asked: "That still doesn't explain how they knew the term Tines on the OBB". To which Ben Thiel responds: "Jefri also called them Tines". Thus, to summarize, the flow of information went like this: Johanna to Steel (via spies), then to Jefri (he must have overhead Steel call his race that at some point --- though this is not explicitly mentioned) ---, and then to the OOB.
James Westhoff That still doesn't explain how they knew the term Tines on the OBB. Or am I missing something?
Ben Thiel Jefri also called them Tines
Image for A Fire Upon the Deep