Karma Gurung
Karma Gurung asked:

In what ways did the story inspire you?

To answer questions about Into the Wild, please sign up.
Tushar Chauhan Its inspires me in only one way. Sometime you just live, some people brand him as narcissist and some as fool, but the fact is he lived and died own his own terms, when most people live their lives for others, strangling their own wishes and die with dreams in their eyes.
“I have had a happy life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless all!”
See how tranquil he was at the time of death, you don't see that often.
So, the inspiration is "Live".
Meg Edwards I have always wanted to travel, always wanted to leave my midwestern suburb. Other than my dad, no one has ever seemed to think it was possible. It seemed that everyone's long term goals were to get a house and a kid and a football championship, and maybe a cruise every couple of years. The narrowness of that world view, the rejection of so many places and cultures, surrounded me. Into the Wild was one of the first books I read that told me it really was possible to leave, to live life on my own terms even if no one around me thought it was worth anything. Chris was human, and made mistakes, and I am human and have made mistakes, so I don't idolize him. But his story inspired me to look at life as a very temporary, fleeting thing, and not to worry about what kind of lives other people chose to lead. Which I guess is a long winded way of saying that travel and creativity are priorities in my life now, no matter how many times I hear the phrase, "that isn't practical."
Elaf i liked that it showed great individuality and freedom of choice as to living life rather differently than how we ordinarily would, caring little about what people would think. it made me rethink my choices and encouraged me to spending time alone.
Yair 1. Alex showed me the value in leaving one's fold.
2. Alex showed me the value in sticking to one's view of life, no matter what.
3. Alex showed me how man can hope to be inspired by nature.
Martinw It inspired me to, if I ever have the need to go out Into the Wild, prepare myself before to living in the wilderness.
Conor Macleod Not me, but my mate read it and finished it yesterday. This morning he told his wife of 8 months that he wants to split up and live the life he has inside him.

I thought it was a very courageous thing for him to do. His dad died 3 years ago and his wife helped him through. He still loves her but knows he wont be happy staying and having kids soon and stuff without stretching his legs.

I met him at university, he was there with agood friend from home. Then he went home. He has always had support in that sense and has never been alone or having to look after himself.

she would not leave - small town girl who wants a family now.

I am incredibly proud of him for making such a big decision and not mulling it so long that they both hate eachother. I hope they can both be good friends in the future.
Kantesh A vagabond life fascinates urbanites like us all. It is an exploration of human psyche at its wildest. I think when we look into the mirror hard enough, we see some parts of Chris in ourselves.

I feel sorry for his family which suffers due to his adventure, but then again, path to self-realization is paved with sacrifice and renunciation.
Fati he reminded me of a quote from Albert Camus : « The only way to deal with an unfree world, is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. » loved it ;)
LindaMera Made me want to find the same peace Chris found, and not to care about all the little things that I sometimes feel are overwhelming me.
Life is larger than this.
Virginia Kostmayer I was conflicted with his decisions. Was he making his choices out of anger and pain from his family trauma? or was he making decisions based on genuine need to define himself by his rules? I saddened more by his choices to isolate and to run from his loved ones. I felt that he was doing it more of out the pain he experienced in his family of origin. I was inspired to explore more and to experience things outside of the norm, but do it safely and carefully. I just wonder what his true motives were; to escape from his pain and hurt his family or to be a carefree individual without rules?
Natali Grayling It made me write a book :)
Leslie Soifer Chris McCandless was willing to risk it all in order to follow his heart and soul. He wanted to strip his former self of all past history and in some way this wasa healing, cleansing and possibly some sort of sacrifice. This was his bridge fro his former self to his future but unfortunately went awry.
D This book had a big impact on my life. It inspired me to do go solo trip that really boosted my confidence at the time, which I then leveraged into other pursuits. I can trace a lot back to reading Into the Wild and sympathizing with Chris. Having said that though, while I rejected criticism of him earlier in my life, I've certainly tried to keep up with what's been written, filmed, and shown about him from different angles, and I would certainly advise others not to lionize Chris individually, but rather take inspiration in a broader sense. Kill your heroes, I say!
Rahaf Alfar
João A lot of people say Alex (yes, Alex) was a hero. Others say he was reckless and naive. I say neither.
He was himself. Either good or bad doesn't really matter. He wanted to carve his own path, on his terms. Taking chances, yes. He risked (and did die) but he also risked (and did live). He "lived" for 2 years. A lot of people die of old age and never live at all.
So, how did it inspire? To be honest, I don't know. But it did touch me and stuck to the back of my mind. But also has helped me be more aware of myself and to live for the moment.
But also, it inspired me to be inspired (if that makes sense). To let go of whatever shackles me and just be. Kind of like himself. He wanted to be himself. Good, bad, whatever. Just simply himself.
Deborah 'No man's an island'. Our life is to be lived touching other peoples lives. Be you, and be loving and kind.
Eric Hollen I think, starting out, I shared some of the moral judgments that a lot of critics seemed to have towards Alex - that he was arrogant, selfish, foolish. But I felt like the book did a lot to upend that, and show that some of these shorthand judgments we cast tend to veil a whole universe of intricacy and complication. In the end, the initial view I had of Alex was compounded with a deep sympathy, understanding, forgiveness (for the cruelty suffered upon his loved ones; he is, after all, only human) as well as admiration. Which might be a long way of saying, it made me want to look deeper into who people are and what they tick, and not settle for the easy "writing off" or judgments that, as Krauker pointed out, a lot of people tended to have towards him.
Maggie It was thrilling to me that this young man chased his dream. He took on hardship whilst setting out on his own path. Disappointing to his parents, he did not want to pursue the predictable path that most consider success. He lived a determined life.
Nutta S. If you're looking for a meaning of life, it will inspire you in some point.
At the end, I'm 100% sure he finally got to a place he had been seeking for,
his mind. For me Mccandless was a brave one. Only people who aren't scared of the death and those who have been to their own mind will understand.
I like Jon Krakauer's point of view about him.
Audrey I have always been what my parents call a "free spirit". The idea of leaving Missouri without any goodbye hugs or a party is one I've entertained since a young age. My eyes have always been set on the northwest region and reading Into the Wild has made this dull throb for freedom a deep wound in my side. After reading this book I began actually planning my department and figuring out my finances, but because of Alex, I'm not worried. Not a bit. The idea of finding what it means to live- even if it's very different from my parents, peers, or even Alex's is so much more important important to me. To me- Into the Wild isn't exactly about a hitchhiker or a man going to Alaska, it's about a young man figuring out what his own idea of living is to him, and that's beautiful to me, and that's how Alexander Supertramp inspires me.
Pedro SP "And so it turned out only a life similar to the life of those around us, merging with it without a ripple, is genuine life, and that an unshared happiness is not happiness."

The story inspired me to live life freely, using human relationships as the backbone to this philosophy. Towards the end of his life, Chris had clearly been satisfied with his adventures and had wanted to conclude his solo pursuits. He had convinced himself that personal relationships was the road to lifelong happiness, a conclusion which he had to reach only after a tumultuous tussle with his demons in the form of seeking personal gratification through his solo Alaskan adventure.

My main take from this whole story is that happiness is staring me in the face with the wonderful people around me, and the people I haven't met. The story has convinced me more that I should travel and to strengthen my current relationships.
Image for Into the Wild
by Jon Krakauer (Goodreads Author)