Goodreads asked William Manchee:

William Manchee I know how difficult and frustrating it is trying to get published. Last year over 50,000 fiction titles were published but less than 10% made it into the major bookstores. My advice is not to self publish but be patient and try to get a good agent and place your work with a publisher that has good distribution and marketing. If you do chose to go with a small press or self publish be prepared to spend a lot of time and money as you will have to do an incredible amount of marketing to be successful. You literally will have to be obsessed with getting your book into stores and in the hands of readers to have even a long shot at success. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should know what you're up against.

Best of luck to you and if you have any specific questions about submissions, marketing, or anything else related to publishing, please feel free to email me. If I know the answer or can help you in any way I will.