Vanessa
Vanessa asked:

I read The Kite Runner by this author. Is this book better?

To answer questions about A Thousand Splendid Suns, please sign up.
Stephanie Having just finished reading both, I actually had a hard time with this question personally. The thing is, for much of the length of the book, I found I ENJOYED The Kite Runner maybe a little more than A Thousand Splendid Suns, but not because the latter was any worse.. it just had very few reprieves from the anger and sadness I felt for the characters. It had a huge emotional effect on me, but that effect left me almost dreading reading more for fear of even worse things happening.

The Kite Runner, while incredibly emotional and also incredibly angering at times, I found it was easier for me to get through because there were also a lot of beautiful and more tender moments. So both had a very powerful impact on me, but I still found myself longing for the balance between beauty and sadness in The Kite Runner over the horrible circumstances the characters had to endure in A Thousand Splendid Suns.

All of that said, by the end I really felt like A Thousand Splendid Suns achieved that balance as well- it just took some time to get there. The last quarter or so of the story were so powerful and well written to me, and made me fall in love with these characters and their incredible strength and the relationships between them, rather than just feeling awful and nervous about what more they might have to go through. And that's not to say that it's only the ending that's good- it's more that, like the characters in the story, you just have to keep getting through the really painful stuff in order to appreciate the love and the good that's formed there despite it all as well.

I still do adore The Kite Runner so so much, and in terms of my own personal connection to the story, I'd probably just leave it at that both stories had a huge impact on me and I found them both stunning :) Having completed A Thousand Splendid Suns in its entirely, I don't think I can say I love it more or less than The Kite Runner.. I just adore them both.

In terms of which is technically written better? Hmm... perhaps ATSS, mostly because I thought the structure of it was really lovely, and lent a lot to the story at hand (also because, admittedly, The Kite Runner does get quite heavy on the coincidences toward the end). Then again, I did love the use of Amir's narration in The Kite Runner as well, and the first person narration was something I missed in ATSS until, again, the latter part of the book where I started to see a clear picture of how the structure of the book was being used to enhance the story. So they're both just beautifully written and make excellent use of their respective narrative structures and voice.

So, very long story short: Do read A Thousand Splendid Suns if you enjoyed The Kite Runner! They're both some of my favorite books I've read recently, and stories of true human resilience and love.. and it WAS really great to get a female perspective on the Afghan experience. Just do be prepared that it is not a FUN read, and can be quite tough to get through for the first while.. more so than The Kite Runner which gives you some good breaks from the sadness throughout.
Mahrukh Absolutely.its the BESTEST(if thats even a word!)
Michelle I LOVE all 3 of his books, but this is my favourite.
It could be based on my basis- I am female, retired military and have 2 daughters.
This books made me thankful for our presence overseas and certainly for the fact that I am raising my son & daughters in this wonderful country.
Renan This book is very good, but I preferred The Kite Runner. "And The Mountains Echoed" is my favourite of his three books so far.
Jennifer Galley I had put off reading Thousand Splendid Suns because I thought it couldn't possibly be as good as Kite Runner, how wrong was I! Fantastic and so sad too.
Sayan Pattnaik Heartbreaking masterful story!
Денис Агафонов It's fem-remake
Ameena Its all really moving. I dont think i can choose between any of his books they are all very heart touching. but I think you should definitely give this one a read. get ready to bawl your eyes off
Preetha Bhat "A Thousand Splendid Suns" was better by far for me. I never cry, but it made me weep at the end.
Angie I loved The Kite Runner but I really really loved this one (maybe it's because I'm a woman...)
Mikayla Panton I read the Kite Runner twice and cried both times. I finished ATSS today and it was beautiful too. Khaled Hosseini NEVER disappoints. I adore anything he writes and I am sure you will too.
Biuma✨ I would say this book is just as good as the kite runner. I've read 2 out of 3 of his books and I can tell you for a fact that he brings something different to the table always.
The story is captivating and brings about a lot emotions. I'd recomment this book in a heartbeat.
Rosalin No. A disappointing read. He doesn't write as beautifully or as deeply as Rohinton Mistry but I expected something better. This book lacks the emotional impact of his first novel. While the plot was interesting, the writing lacked depth, variety, intensity, complexity, and nuance, for the most part. Hosseini's limited and repetitive word choice was puzzling and hindered fuller communication. The plot didn't flow well either between the two interwoven women's stories. The political history seemed cut and pasted. Skip this book and read something by Rohinton Mistry. His novels are beautifully crafted with depth and pathos.
Rachael I thought that the Kite Runner was better, but this book was still good and definitely worth reading.
Zara Ali Khan Yes. A Thousand Splendid Suns is better than The Kite Runner.
Aušrinė I liked "A Thousand Splendid Suns" better than "The Kite Runner". "The Kite Runner" made me almost cry in the end. On the other hand, this one didn't. But I had very strong feelings all throughout the book.
Lisa Kennedy this one is my favourite by far i didnt want it to end
Resha Both are mindblowing novels. However i prefer ATSS and if you liked kite runner, i definitely recommend you to read this one.
binge_reader22 Hands down, A Thousand Splendid Suns was better. Don't get me wrong, Kite Runner was AMAZING, but I loved how this book was entirely surrounded by the stories stemming from the lives of Afghani women. I also found myself hating and falling in love with certain characters quicker and had stronger emotions associated with A Thousand Splendid Suns. But both books really highlight the true face of Afghanistan. I mean, when looking at the news, we always find some horrible event going on in the Middle East. But both books bring out the beauty and willpower of people and show that not everyone in Afghanistan remains rigid on extreme religious foundations.
Caty In my opinion, this is a must read. It's different than "The Kite runner", I'd liked it very much and I think you should read it and form your own opinion.
Naina yes! this is better
Syafiq KZaman I personally prefer this book over Kite Runner.
Rajeev Kumar i didnt read the book Kite runner but i have watched the film.
I am currently reading this book and its seems to be very gripping.Its like you are engulfed in the sea of sorrow and you have nowhere to go.When there is starting of something good then suddenly something bad will happen.All the characters are well placed and in chronological order.There is no break in the story. It truly depicts the culture of Afghanistan and its people. I would strongly recommend this book. please read.
Dragutin Vukovic Both books are wonderfull. They are not just stories. They are treatises on human suffering and absurdity of so-called traditional and religious foundations. But 'Thousand Splendid Suns' got me more emotionally involved. May be that's because I'm very sensitive to women suffering.
Mary Alice I liked this book better than The Kite Runner. It had a more powerful impact on me.
Marleny I read A Thousand Splendid Suns very soon after I finished The Kite Runner and I while I love them each for their uniqueness, the former is the one I often think of when someone is looking for a great book to read.

The way A Thousand Splendid Suns ends left me with such strong emotions which unfortunately occurred while riding the subway. The author did a wonderful job of allowing the reader to almost step into the story and experience first hand the hopeless struggle of two long-suffering women. The story gives us a peek into a world which many of us will never get to know and, if it truly portrays how women are treated in some parts of the world, we will never want to.

I very strongly recommend this book. It is one of those books that will haunt you long after you've read it.
Aaryaman Gupta All his books are unique and compelling. And the question whether this is better, may be the toughest question... atleast of my life!
Laura I liked both for different reasons. This one spoke to me more because I'm a woman, but both stories are compelling and fascinating.
Sarath Vellani No. The book is not better if you have read The Kite Runner.
If you have read that one first, it is your introduction to Afghanistan and fiction which shows the hardships during 3 decades of war and toil in Afghanistan.
But when you read A Thousand Splendid Suns, you wouldn't feel the same thing. Not because it is bad. It is not the first time and you know you are expecting hardships and freedom kind of storyline.
Roselyn Quinn The Kite Runner was my favorite. However, this book is amazing and even though it is fiction, it was life changing. I know we must be enlightened and help others. In this book they thought the Taliban would actually make things better. I cried, no, weeped many times reading it
Viera Masih There is no comparison. His books are profound. All are unique. I highly recommend his books. The last one 'And The Mountains Echoed' is my next to read. He is such a great writer and a very natural author.
Sifa Gowon Amazing story! All his books are amazing!
Image for A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini (Goodreads Author)