Lily
Lily asked:

How much history do you need to know to get something out of this book?

Leah I didn't know much of anything and still understood it quite well. If anything, it will inspire you to learn more
Jaie it is not history what you need to know, it is english literature !! supposedly it resonates with the writer's biography, because she is an english literature professor, and the political context with a country turned against "western culture" hits directly at her, her job, and her lifestyle... but still, in my opinion, it was too much, too many paragraphs about the improbable motivations of nabokov, fitzgerald and twain, which, have absolutely nothing to do with iran...
David Leemon I think it would be more helpful to first read _Lolita_ and _The Great Gatsby_.
Renee Mroz any questions I had, I just looked up to see what the perspective was. And actually I hadn't read all the books that she discussed in the book and that was fine too. Now I want to learn more and read all the books.
Book Worm Nothing at all....unwanted 'reviews' of Fitzgerald and Nobokovs works with a little bit of Iran in the background. It's a total waste of time and no link with Iran at all
Neil holman It would help to know a little about the history of Iran, especially the last 20 years. But not necessary...
Image for Reading Lolita in Tehran
by Azar Nafisi (Goodreads Author)