Goodreads asked Victoria Kjos:

Victoria Kjos The book is based on journals kept contemporaneously while I spent five months on a spiritual trip in 2012. I traveled through south and north India, spending 2 1/2 months in each part of the county.

Never planning in my life EVER to write a book, I began keeping journals, which I shared with a few friends and family members via emails while away. They all loved them, asked for more, and said they felt as though they were traveling beside me.

Several people suggested that I turn them into a book. It sounded like fun because I've always liked to write. And, the "rest is history," as they say.

I consider this book to be one of the many gifts I received from Mother India. In love with the country and its people, I returned and spent six months living in North India the subsequent year, 2013. Soon I will be moving back to Rishikesh.

Volume 2 will be published next year, which is the remainder of the 2012 trip through the north, including Dharamsala/McLeod Ganj, home of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Amritsar, Rajasthan, Agra, and other places.