Mark Smith
Mark Smith asked:

I just finished reading the second chapter, and this book hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm considering giving up on it, but I need some reason to think it'll kick into a higher gear soon. Can anybody tell me why I should press on? I don't mind spoilers.

To answer questions about Cloud Atlas, please sign up.
Ray
George I like and endorse Ray's answer. Here's my take.

Some of the stories build on each other in ways you might expect. Other connections are less obvious. The point-of-view characters are very different, and I think almost anybody will identify with at least one of them, even if he doesn't like what seems like a very ordinary 19th-c. English and is an early-20th <spoiler>brilliant and talented bounder and cad<spoiler>. Unless that anyone can't cope with science fiction, of course.</spoiler></spoiler>
Image for Cloud Atlas