Bernard O'Donnell

This was an interesting book on an area of politics I have been fascinated by and that of Brazil in particular. I did find it rather hard to follow the themes through, but suspect that is my problem in not knowing enough about the region.

To answer questions about His Own Man, please sign up.
Jeffrey For a more straightforward introduction to Latin America's dirty wars, one that departs from realism to great dramatic and comic effect, I would recommend "The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts" by Louis de Bernieres.

I would say that Ribiero's book is more of a diplomatic character study than it is an explication of right-wing politics in South America. To read "His Own Man" as a critique of U.S. interventionism in Latin America is, to me, to commit the sin of thinking that everything is about America.
Bob H If you are a US citizen, this should interest you, once the story is well under way and these Brazilian officials realize they're a part of a bigger US-directed Cold War -- and they're a sideshow, at that. Nonetheless, it's a campaign that will overthrow several Latin American democracies and destroy tens of thousands of lives in the name of anti-Communism. It's an indirect way of telling it -- this character floats above a very dirty flow of history -- but the fact it's an obscure region to US readers recommends it.
Image for His Own Man