Goodreads asked Marc Horn:

Marc Horn The brainwashing process in The Mortal Religion caused me a problem. I hate it when in books or films a character does something 'out of character' to drive the plot forward. So having Elizabeth realistically succumb to the brainwashing was tricky. I decided to work on something else, a whole new novel. I came back to The Mortal Religion a year later, but in the meantime I'd been thinking about it and jotting down notes, so when I got back into it writing the rest was easy.
The actual solution - Senses Shutdown - came to me in a gallery in Portugal. Maybe the visual stimuli inspired it!
So I suppose my approach is to continue to be creative with another idea rather than stop being creative!