Baige Bell
Baige Bell asked:

I am a teacher assistant in an 8th grade language arts classroom. I am looking for new young adult novels for my students. Is this appropriate to recommend to 8th graders?

To answer questions about Reality Boy, please sign up.
Emma I'm in 8th grade and I read it, but I also practically worship Chuck Palahniuk, so perhaps I'm not the best person to give input on whether things are age appropriate or not. Honestly, it's not like the talk of sex and swearing is anything new to middle and high schoolers (as well as some elementary schoolers, so I've heard, but I went to what is often called the whitest elementary school in the city, so I didn't experience any of that until I got to 6th grade), that's just the sad truth of the matter.
Cassandra Not unless you don't mind the F bomb being dropped by page 8! I work in a Middle school library and am pulling the book as it is NOT appropriate for those age kids. Don't get me wrong, most have heard and plenty have said the word, but when it is presented in a book and I have the power to remove the book from the shelf, then I will.
Megan Altenburg I am a freshman and read this. Prolly not for 8th graders if they are as immature as the 8th graders at my school. There is sexual content, foul language and violence throughout the book and not in just a part here or there.
I I read this, I'm in 6th grade, my parents didn't mind. Aha, maybe I'm a bit of a mature reader, for there is some swearing and violence.
Ashley I believe a lot of parents wouldn't want you to have their children read this book as 8th graders. Like someone else said there's a lot of violence and foul language. It is definitely more for high school students than 8th graders.
Jordan it would depend on the teacher and students. I read this in 8th grade and quite enjoyed it although I am a bit of a mature reader
Hanna The book has a lot of foul language and violence. It would depend on the student, but I would not recommend it to most 8th graders. It is definitely on the higher range of the YA spectrum.
Danyil Jean-jacques No not really. It depends on what you think is appropriate for eighth graders.
Image for Reality Boy
by A.S. King (Goodreads Author)