Adair
Adair asked:

Am I the only lone voice in the wilderness who thinks that a memoir should not be written in the present tense?The whole book! I got so irritated that I couldn't get past a few chapters.Pity because I suspect a good story.

To answer questions about Speak Swahili, Dammit !, please sign up.
James Penhaligon I'm sure you aren't the only one. Thing is that an author has to write in the way he/she finds best, & hope more people will approve of the choices than will not. Taste, culture, individual preference, & many other factors will determine that, & nobody can please everybody. In my case, most readers have not found the present tense unpleasant to read, but to those who did I apologise.
Marlene Clark I teach memoir writing & would never criticize the choice of tense. Past tense is easier to write, & I commend the author for his choice. His telling of events are riveting. What is distracting are the grammatical errors. They spoil an otherwise thoroughly enjoyable read.
Image for Speak Swahili, Dammit !