Risa Ann
Risa Ann asked:

Can this book/series be read without reading The Broken Empire Series 1st? Or do the go together?

To answer questions about Prince of Fools, please sign up.
Steven Zimmerman they do go together but you won't notice you're missing something if you havent read the others.
Beverly You do not need to read The Broken Empire Series. I could not read it. It was too dark for me. However, I read and very much enjoyed Prince of Fools. It is a completely different story and characters even though it is in the same world. The "almost" meeting of Jalan and Jorge was noted and not unappreciated.

Edited: My above answer was written 8 years ago. I have since read The Broken Empire Series and loved it! It is a very dark and gritty story featuring a very young, mentally disturbed character. Once I understood what Jorg's character was about, I became entranced by his story. Mostly what helped me, was by reading the book while listening to the narrated version. It was like listening to Jorg make his confession while reading from his personal diary.
Travis Centers You will be tilting your head wondering why the narrator is giving so much detail about a scene that has no big influence on the main story. Other then that... It doesn't matter.
Leialand Sure, I guess. You'd miss out on a crossover tidbit and maybe some worldbuilding, but the narrative in Prince of Fools should be enough to tide you through the main plot.
Image for Prince of Fools
by Mark Lawrence (Goodreads Author)