I just watched all the episodes available on the anime (so far...) and I'm thinking of trying to read the whole series in between the episodes. Is it better than the anime, or worse? I want to know before I blow all my money on this series since my library doesn't currently have it.

To answer questions about Fairy Tail, Vol. 01, please sign up.
Victoria So far (I'm not all the way through it) the anime is pretty true to the manga. They're practically the same, only I think some things have been sweetened in the anime. :)
Ethan Stanhope Anime is better
Korben Cooke the anime is so boss if you are a big anime watcher go to toonget.com for 100% FREE anime online.
Greta Delaland I would reccomend going online and reading it digitally for free, particularly at sites like Manga Fox before you buy it - just to see if you like it, of course.
Hephaestica Every now and then you'l get a longer explanation of something in the manga that makes me have an "Ah ha!" moment for something less detailed in the anime. As for quality, I think both were done extremely well!
Nashi I think its better, honestly. I would reccommend checking out what your library might have in stock of it. my library has a LOT of them.
Maddit320 The only thing different is that in the anime, they have more episodes about random jobs, that don't follow any storyline.
Image for Fairy Tail, Vol. 01