Goodreads asked Andi O'Connor:

Andi O'Connor My inspiration comes from both real events and my imagination, and there isn’t really a heavy sway to one side or the other. I can’t tell you how many things just come to me. People always ask how I come up with certain things, and usually they end it with ‘And please don’t tell me you just thought of it!’ I hate to disappoint them, but that is how a great deal of my writing happens. It just comes to me. An idea springs out of nowhere, I start writing, and the characters/events take me through. I never outline, and I come up with a lot of my ideas on the spot as I write.

But I also get a lot of ideas from real situations, issues, and people. There are similarities between many of my characters’ personalities and those of people I know. And I frequently use real issues and events as inspiration. I got the idea for one of my short stories from a local trial. In my short story series, The Legacy of Ilvania, I touch on the topics of slavery in Redemption and abortion in Reclamation, which is due to be released in late August. Equality – and how people are viewed as inferior - is a huge issue that I touch on in all of my writing. As you can imagine, I take female equality the most personally, and that is a recurring theme across every one of my series. I think including topics such as these makes the story more realistic and personal to my readers, even if it is fantasy.