Goodreads asked Jez Campbell:

Jez Campbell I’ve learned to develop a 'writing' mind-state through repetitive ‘training’, using meditative techniques. I use specific music to help me create that mind-state, and when I achieve it I can just write. I find that if I begin to write - the action of it, as it were - then after a short time I begin to write words that follow the story.

It took me some time to find the right music. I tried about ten to fifteen different modern artists, classical music and sounds (whale and bird songs, that kind of thing). It became obvious very quickly what didn’t work, in that I couldn’t write to it at all. It was distracting in itself or didn’t help me to shut down irrelevant mind-talk or external influences.

Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow has worked where other music failed.I’ve written about 140,000 words to that album on a loop!