Amy
Amy asked:

I thought this was a very mindful book however the ending was our character in limbo. Did he want us to create our own ending?

Kristen This is a typical Murakami ending. He often leaves his books and the development of the characters in them open-ended. I actually think it is refreshing sometimes. Other books of his leave me wondering what just happened...
Greg I feel with the ending, Murakmi attempts to force us to reflect on who we are/where we are in our own lives. Do you imagine the happy ending or the sad ending? Does Tsukuru change after all he has learned? If so how? Do you think the emotions between Sara and Tsukuru are genuine love or an unequal relationship misunderstood by our protagonist? When you finished the story your mind went down a path, what does that path say about you? So to answer your question, I feel he wants us to create our own ending.
Image for Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage