Goodreads asked Ash Night:

Ash Night Like many writers, I'm inspired by every day things that happen in my life. I'm also a huge fan of TV and watch for dialogue or even a look one character might give another character that could possibly spark an idea. People-watching is one of my favorite things to do when I'm out in a store or something. Not the creepy-stalkerish kind, but I listen to everything going on around me and try to scout out ideas. I was in a store with my cousin a few moths ago and two men, in their thirties or forties, were stopped in the middle of the store. It was clear they hadn't seen each other in a while and the guy asks the other how he is. The guy responds, "Well, I just found out I'm adopted."

My first thought was what a ridiculous thing to say in the middle of a store! It may have been but it stuck with me. It pays to keep your eyes and ears open.