Ginny Goettler

Does anyone know the lexile for this book? My son's language arts teacher requires it for approval and he wants to read the book. I can't find a reading level, much less the "lexile". Even the lexile site doesn't provide it. Thanks!

Tom Ginny,
Alas, I don't have a simple answer for you -- but there are several ways to calculate reading levels, and I've seen plenty of research to suggest that lexile alone is not of much value. Common Core, for all its faults, at least acknowledges that "text complexity" is a function of several features, only one of which is the difficulty of the words.
As one who works with teachers and pre-service teachers, I'm frustrated with teachers who want to "approve" a book for a child to read -- though I can understand why they might want to approve it to give certain kinds of credit. (They want to make sure the text is adequately "challenging,")
My suggestion is that you read the book (if you haven't already done so), and decide for yourself whether a) your son can handle the content, and b) whether you think it's appropriate for whatever purpose the teacher feels compelled to provide approval.
If your approval isn't enough, you might schedule a conference with the teacher and an administrator to clarify to purpose of the assignment and the reason the lexile seems to matter. Lacking such a score, the three of you ought to be able to agree on some other measure -- such as your collective judgment -- about the appropriateness of the book.
Good luck!
Image for The Bosnia List