Am I the only one who kept reading the first few chapters, putting it down, going back and never getting interested enough to read it?

To answer questions about The Casual Vacancy, please sign up.
Kathleen I'm not that far into it and it's been about a year since I picked it up. All I remember is that none of the characters appears to be likable. They were all backbiters, and if this is what it's like to live in a small-ish British town, I'll happily stay in my anonymous American suburb.

I read another thread where the general consensus was that it starts getting good around page 300. Are you kidding me? I've never given any author 300 pages to hook me.
Ashley Allen I'm with you right now. I'm not bored, but I'm just not getting really interested.
Paula
Suzy This is what is happening to me!
Cheryl Absolutely agree with Hameeda. I hated the first few chapters, but once I got about halfway through, I could not stop listening and actually found a CD player in my house (I generally listen in the car) so I could finish it. It is worth your while, I promise!
Hameeda No, it happened to me too. The book gets interesting after halfway through and I couldn't put it down while reading the last hundred pages.
Elena I think you should keep reading it. The first chapters're boring but then the book becomes more interesting.
Melody Dealing Same thing happened to me as well. About halfway through the book it picks up and gets more interesting.
Image for The Casual Vacancy